Our Support Approach
Active Support at ARK involves helping people to be actively, consistently, and meaningfully engaged in their own lives regardless of their support needs.
• To Be Engaged : Doing things; Participating; Spending time with others; Making decisions; Making choices.
• Actively : Each day; Through-out the day, whenever there is an opportunity;
• Consistently : With approaches that provide enough structure and predictability that people experience comfort, continuity, gaining a better ability to be engaged;
• Meaningfully : In ways that increase competence and opportunity; that help people be and stay connected to others (socially); that provide enhanced esteem; that are focused on the needs, preferences, and goals of the person.
- Individual Learning and Positive Support Strategies.
- Starts from the point of view of the individual and they are an active and ongoing partner in their options.
- Focus on engagement, choice, and opportunities for personal development.
- Ark Team planning to be led by ongoing observation, assessment and feedback, ensuring all preparation is based on each individual’s needs and expectations.
- Making it enjoyable.
- Ensure it suits their circumstances and is accessible to them.
- Provide valuable engagement opportunities both in structured and non-structured time.
- Plan for personal growth and new opportunities.
- All people are participating as a team.
- Strives for a positive impact on how an individual feels and helping them to maintain this.